The Spoken Word

1:26 PM

April 5, 2017:


Hello, friends!

You may ask yourself, what is the spoken word? 
Wikipedia says: Spoken word is an oral art that focuses on the aesthetics of word play and intonation and voice inflection. It is a 'catchall' that includes any kind of poetry recited aloud, including hip-hop, jazz poetry, poetry slams, traditional poetry readings and can include comedy routines and 'prose monologues'.

I decided to select a few of my favorite videos and write a little bit about them. Honestly, I didn't wanna go too deep into it because I feel like, for each its own.
T.S Elliot said it: Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood.
Enjoy!


SPEECH EXTRACT: The Dream of Life - Alan Watts


Not gonna lie, this one is pretty deep. It changed me in so many ways. Ask yourself the hard questions and just... be. I really wanna write a post about religion so this is all I'm gonna comment about the vid.

SPOKEN WORD: Suli Breaks - Why I Hate School But Love Education


I think this one is the most popular vid of all. Personally is not my favorite, but I decided it deserved a spot among this list. The "DEAD-LINE" part is my favorite (what can I say, I love zombie-related-things).

LECTURE: How great leaders inspire action - Simon Sinek

This one is not a poem or a speech but as a marketer I feel like this video belongs here. Simon Sinek preaches about how brands operate. He calls it the 'Golden Circle'. 

POEM: 'Maybe' by Igor Oro

What I really like about Igor tho, is his "about me" on Soundcloud:
"One thing you need to understand right off the bat: I am not a "naturally" talented writer. The beauty that others see in my poems is inspired by depths of pain, fear and despair that few have endured, and fewer still have recovered from. I'm one of the lucky ones, but i did not return unscathed. The poetry you find here -regardless of topic- is what has helped me to recover, and what has invariably shaped the man I am today. I hope it can help you as well."
Thank you Igor, your work is absolutely incredible. Listen to more of his stuff below.



All the love,
B x

You Might Also Like

0 comments